Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A friend from Calgary wrote the following:
I run the dog at night. By the time we can get up there it is dark. But the hill at night is surprisingly light, when it's clear especially, and if I stay on the face of the hill (rather than going back into the woods) it is light enough to see, and not be afraid (of porcupines, coyotes, and murderers) though not light enough to see exactly. Last night and tonight we (me and Rudy, wearing a red bicycle light on his collar) were suddenly surrounded by movement. It was deer, and they were all around us and moving so fast that I thought I was in a dream, as though they were alien beings (alive, not mechanical, but moving faster than any living thing I really know) or really, as what my mind truly thought then, as though they were gods! It was very dream like and strange and rare. And with a little red light bobbing after them, slowly and with no real effort to catch up...so strange I felt like lying down in the snow right there and then.
I know! These aren't deer...but if one pretends...they could be watching Rudy with his red reflector light run by.

No comments:

Post a Comment