Tuesday, September 15, 2009


I've been thinking about writing. One creates a character and one assumes the minutiae. Ones character will wash his or her face with a facecloth...naturally! But I was visiting friends this weekend. They left a towel for me...and I thought they had just forgotten the facecloth. Not so. They have British roots and the British do not use facecloths. They don't have a facecloth in the house. It left me...rootless. I recounted the experience to a friend expecting support...but instead she responded, "Oh I never use a facecloth except to wash my feet!"
Finally a third friend agreed with me, but when I laughed and said, "How can one wash ones neck without a facecloth?" she looked at me and shrugged. "Don't you take a shower?"
I reported to yet another friend that my blog for the day was on the topic of facecloths.
She replied, "Oh good - Rudy loves facecloths. Apparently his single material fetish - not shoes etc. but facecloths. I don't get it."
I include a picture of Rudy to clarify.
Moral: Never assume the minutiae!

No comments:

Post a Comment