Friday, June 11, 2010


I have a family story - my father came from England and went into the ministry - very late - and he had to make up time. The University sent him and his friend to Newfoundland...two diminutive Brits in the hold of a ship carrying Lumberjacks home from their summer jobs.
At the first port, my father and his friend were down below ad heard an incredible noise - a large number of very large, very drunken lumber jacks descended upon them. all they had by way of props were the hymn books they were taking with them to their churches and so - as the lumberjacks came down - they handed them a hymn book and began to sing! The lumberjacks were so taken aback that they sang and sang and sang - whilst my father and his friend escaped to the deck and spent the rest of the voyage there.
I regret not having asked my father where in Newfoundland he was. But I am going to Newfoundland this summer to this wonderful spot called Little Bay Island. I won't take hymn books!

No comments:

Post a Comment