Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So - the theme is still the elephant in the room! I love my doctor. He ignores the elephant in the room. He prods a bit, checks my blood pressure...but he does not mention weight. Instead, he says, "How are you?" And I say, "Fine, but my ankle hurts."
And he does not say, "Ah, if you lost weight..." Instead he says, "I have a doctor for you." And he does. He sends me to a delightful young man with a doctorate in biochemical engineering. He's about ten or so. He shows me some magnificent orthodics made in Quebec...I say yes. He says, "Are you wearing underwear?" I want to say, "Young man, a woman of my age never goes out without underwear!" But I don't. I don't want to scare him. I say, "Yes." And he says, "I need you to drop your pants." I swear I behave although I want to laugh...He leaves the room. I drop my pants, literally. He returns and proceeds to take photos of my legs from the knees down. And then he scans my feet. And then he transfers the information to his computer and shows me the schematic picture of my very old limbs. We agree. I have flat feet. I have had flat feet all my life. It has nothing to do with weight. It is genetic. This week I return to pick up a stunning pair of plastic orthodics with my name, the date and the words, "Droit" and "Gauche" engraved on them. They come in their very own blue velvet bag...The elephant retreats!

No comments:

Post a Comment