Monday, January 11, 2010


Sorting and sorting and sorting...that is one of the conditions of retirement...one is forced to sort...to tidy...to throw out and to discover. When one is working, there is an excuse. "I don't have time...I'm working..." I have just stopped working for the second if not third time and I am faced once more with sorting.
This time I have resorted to create a data base titled: Where What Is! That way I can find that which I sort...and for the moment avoid throwing out that which I know I should throw out.
I used to motivate myself with the question: What if you had to move...tomorrow...The problem is that with a lap top, that is not a valid question. One has all one's files compacted. So...to avoid the real question of: When did you last use this? I am going through my picture files. I should delete this one, but I can't...I just can't. It reminds me of coming out of the dining room in an African compound, crossing a little bridge over a pond and realizing that the tree beside me was filled with little yellow sleeping birds. There must have been hundreds of them. Were they avoiding the lions and getting a nap? No...they could fly away. Did they feel comfortable with the chattering tourists? No...I suspect they were there before the tourists. It was a magical moment even if it is a somewhat bad picture.
I will never regret having gone to Africa. It has fed my spirit and my imagination for a life time...and no, I will not delete the little bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment