Friday, January 15, 2010



This is a picture of red flower and a spider...the closest picture to knitting that I can find.
On the topic of selling socks:
For the past six years I have been editing.
For the past six years I have been selling socks.
Was that a difficult concept to wrap my head around?
Only when I tried to explain that the difference betwe en editing and selling socks was fit. That people did not come in size 10 or size 9 1/2. That sometimes I had to knit a size for each edit and each foot. Now the left foot is a size 8 and the right foot is a size 10 3/4.
After 40 years I have lost my edge...not on the fitting of socks so much as on the evaluating of the legs to which said feet are attached. This only became an issue when there was a complaint...from a person with definite leg issues.
My socks no longer fit.
I had a hint of this when the company brought in a senior knitter to supervise and make sure that I got off on the right foot. After six years of doing my own thing, being supervised was out of the question! They haven't even run into the leggy person. For all they knew, my socks were selling quite well...save for the occasional amputation.
Now I have run afoul of the legs. I have made a misjudgment and the company is no longer interested in my socks. They want me to knit their socks.
But those who are demanding this of me have never knit a sock.
And so i have put down my knitting needles for a moment and quite frankly I am weeping with joy. I had no idea how hard I had been working on fitting those socks.
I am exhausted and free and somewhat discombobulated. I have suggested to my friends that we knit an afghan!
Some protest. They have never knitted...but I can show them. I have had practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment